Monday, February 6, 2017

Deciding between MS in USA and a job in India

I am right now pursuing B.tech 4th year(EIE) in Gitam college and need to make a crucial decision.I got a job in satyam and a poor score in gre (1120) ,yet to give toefl exam.So there are 2 options for me either to go for the job or to go for MS.For me it is like i have to for MS

Here are the points driving me towards MS.I could have better exposure,obviously the quality of education is much better than that of india.I personally take the menial work like part time jobs as an advantage rather than a thing to worry about,in that it gives me an opportunity to work hard and makes me a tougher guy.There will be not so many Indians as i do in my home land.I would definitely miss my family and friends.Again that i would treat as a challenge coz i think it all depends on how i can adapt to the situation.

On the flip side there are not so many disadvantages.Only thing i can see is that i do not have a good gre score .So i will be denied a seat in a good college.It costs a lot for MS.Apart from these i do not see any disadvantages.So clearly the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Now consider the case wherein i prefer going for the job.As far as i can see these are advantages and disadvantages.The advantages are that there wouldnt be a lot of menial work that i have to do coz i have to work only in posh offices.So life would be much smoother without a lot of toil. Thats it and nothing more.


On the other hand the disadvantages are that i am paid a low salary which is about 18 grands per month(excluding taxes) which do not conform with my ambitions .Eventhough people say that it gets incremented but it is way lower than what we can earn in the states.And there is another option that is to apply for a H1b visa.But that depends on sheer dumb luck because it is through a lottery option that you are selected for the visa interview.And i dont think that the growth prospects would be higher because i would be working on the low end jobs that are outsourced. If you go for a software job ,you are trained as per the companies requirements reducing your scope whereas doing MS gives you a scope of choosing the field you are interested in.If you go for the job it is like,you are one among a huge crowd.

Eventhough it costs a lot for MS ,still we are going to earn it in a few years.With a modest starting salary we can save about 1 lakh per month.But if u take a defensive stance at this stage,you have to be pathetic about yourself later.

No comments: